Friday, December 03, 2004

Leaving the baby

Today I said goodbye to the NCCIL family and to my baby which I watched from the very first moment such a museum was even mentioned to today when it is known nationally in museums and the circles of children's illustrators. The NCCIL is the only museum of its kind--it exhibits and tours the ORIGINAL art work from children's books which have won the Caldecott Award (the highest award a book can win for its artwork). We have mounted some 30+ exhibits and toured them all over the country from Washington State to New York City and have files of accolades from all venues. And the best part is, we bring thousands of school children every year for tours and art lessons.

The Texas Commission on the Arts was in town this week, met at the NCCIL, and fell all over itself complimenting us. Needless to say I am very proud. But today I had to resign as a Board member and volunteer because Nashville is too far a commute for meetings. They responded by placing me on the Advisory Board--so the ties are still there. They also gave me a very nice reception, a little gift and wonderful compliments.

The NCCIL (National Center for Children's Illustrated Literature)is just part of the growing arts community in downtown Abilene and that community is largely responsible for the revitalization of the downtown area. It has been fun to see it develop from a deserted area to one just beckoning people to come, look, and enjoy. I have loved it.

The arts are so important to the cognitive development of children, and I am glad to have had a part in bringing that to the children of Abilene through the NCCIL. And of course, it fits very well with my great passion for children's books and children's literature. I can't wait to exercise that passion in the beautiful downtown Nashville Public Library where Maddie and Ella go for an excellent storytime. I wonder if they have a Friends of the Library group?

No comments: