Thursday, December 02, 2004

Undeserving, but appreciative

At the risk of seeming prideful, I will be writing over the next few days about all the nice things people are doing for me as I leave. I write this for Maddie and Ella, but also to keep it in my memory.

Last night at the elders' meeting at Highland, the elders affirmed, blessed and thanked me for my service at Highland. After my pastor and friend Mike reviewed my years at Highland and my connection with the Copes, he opened it up to others to say what they wanted to. It was very gratifying and thrilling really to hear what they said. Some talked about my widowhood experiences and the way in which I dealt with that, some talked about my teaching at ACU and at Highland, one spoke of my work with the community with the NCCIL, one dear soul lauded me for the way I had reared Brandon, one said I had taught him the meaning of worship, one spoke of how much I had influenced his wife. The laugh of the night came when Jerry Strader talked about my work on the women's issue committee, and Mike said, "Judy was entirely neutral the whole time, right?" Jerry just said--"This is one strong woman!" After that they all lay hands on me and sent me out. What a wonderful experience.Ronnie Lorenz walked me back to my car, and I was speaking to him about how
undeserving I was of all the comments. Ronnie said, "I don't think you realize how much people think of you and how much you have influenced this church." Then I had to cry the buckets I had been holding in.

Then early this morning I attended a city council meeting as a member of the strategic planning committee for the Abilene Public Library. The committee report was presented today. As the session ended, Mayor Archibald said he understood that one member of the committee was moving, and he had me stand. He continued to thank me for my community service and said he understood it would take five people to replace me. Which, of course, is nonsense--nevertheless, it was nice, and I appreciate it.

All of this to say, I am undeserving--I just enjoy using the gifts God gave me--and I give Him all the credit for anything I have accomplished along the way.

No comments: