Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Help

Well, they finally did it.  A movie does justice to a book.  The Help was all I had hoped it would be and more.  A cinematic treatment of a sensitive subject is sometimes more emotional than reading the book (some might want to debate this). 

The packed house in the movie (mostly women) applauded when the movie ended, and many stayed around outside discussing the movie.

All actors did a fantastic job portraying the characters created by Kathryn Stockett.  Some should get Oscars.  I hope the movie will be nominated--it will give a nod to serious, well-done drama.

Now, I want to read the book again. As I thought the first time I read the book, the people in Jackson MI must have cringed when the book was published.

I also want to see the movie again--to bask in the 50's when I grew up, and to see the things I missed.  Some lines were dropped because of the audience reaction.

At any rate, this is a must-see movie, especially for those who are children of the 1950's.

No comments: