Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Christmas movies

Joining the demise of singable Broadway musicals has come the Christmas movie. I don't when it began, I just know I miss them.

One of my favorites is the old "Holiday Inn" movie in which Bing Crosby first sings "White Christmas." Now that is way back--World War II inspired many such movies which some would call cloying today. Where are the movies inspired by the Iraq conflicts? Please, not "Jarhead."

Then there is the warm Christmas scene in "Auntie Mame" which brought us "We Need a Little Christmas." I do like "Meet Me in St. Louis" and Judy Garland's "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" in it. As I remember, "Little Women" also had a memorable Christmas scene.

I have grown weary of "It's a Wonderful Life." What is your favorite Christmas scene or movie?

Father, thank you for your son--the reason for all the gifts and warm feelings.

No comments: