Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Early Voting

Early voting is a blessing for folks like me who cannot stand in line very long. At the Edmondson Library, I got it and out in less than 15 minutes.

Another blessing of early voting is that you get it over with early and don't have to stew until Nov. 4. If you did not see Colin Powell's interview by Tom Brokaw on Meet the Press concerning his endorsement of Obama, go to Phil Wilson's blog--about two days ago he carried the transcript. I like Powell and admire him ( he did lose a little luster in the Iraq War debacle). His measured, reasoned, thoughtful statements why he. a Republican, will be voting for Obama struck a chord with me. He put into words all the ideas that had been floating around in my head for months.

As one who grew up in the "yellow dog Democrat" era in Texas, I have voted Republican twice--both for Bush--and look where that got me. He was a good governor (although he beat my vote for Ann Richards). I do think he has gotten abysmally bad counsel these eight years and will probably go down as one of our least effective presidents. I personally think he is probably a nice man who personifies the "way over your head" syndrome. I know he will be very glad to be rid of all the ridicule (which I think is so unAmerican and unChristian), the negative press, and the load of the presidency. Who would want that anyway????
Perhaps Obama and McCain are both masochists in desiring the office. Whoever wins, I will wish him Godspeed and good
advisors. Obama has already named some of those from whom he will seek advice. As far as I know, McCain has not.

At any rate, I can hardly wait until November 4th!

No comments: