Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Our Disposable Society

After having been gone for 4 days, I have just finished plowing through all the mail and newspapers that accumulated.

Well over 3/4 of the mail was junk and disposable. I had the newspapers saved because of the crossword puzzles and the coupons. It was a task to look through it all. I began to imagine how many trees had been sawed down to provide the paper. Christmas already has begun with several catalogs every day. More things to buy and store.

It is true we are in a society that loves being surrounded by its possessions and obsessions. The lust for things equals the lust for sex and maybe even overpowers it. I was reading the parable Jesus told about the man who decided to build bigger barns.....the sentence "This very night your life will be demanded from you" lept from the page. Luke 12:20

And then I saw pictures of the devastation of the Malibu canyons--all that luxury gone in a moment of fire. In his discourse on not worrying about what to eat, drink or wear, Jesus says, ",,,the pagans run after these things..." I know some Christians who run too.

Lord, forgive me of being pagan in my gathering and thinking. I know that you provide all I ever need.

No comments: