Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Finding your song

I am moved that my granddaughters love music and sing often. Ella has made up this song that she sings almost every day which no one can figure out. It always has the same catchy tune and is sung in some Middle Eastern dialect (or is she speaking in tongues?). One night while they were here, Maddie woke Brandon and Sheryl in the middle of the night singing a song. Her pallet was right next to their bed.

Tom Ehrich in his On A Journey column wrote: "I know how music clutches your soul, and then grows with you and you with it, until your life becomes a CD of melodies: some fresh, some stale, some haunting, some soothing, and some needing another verse. I know the elation that music can bring, but even more the sadness, the mellow and often bereft awareness of deep longings, an inner hand eager to strum a tune and be released, an inner voice straining to sing love close and the blues away. It takes time to find your song. We all have one, I believe. A skill, a voice, a word, an ear to listen, a heart to love, a story to share. It might be a skill we set out to achieve. More likely, life and God and we will compose a song that surprises us, that contains a truth we hadn't planned on knowing."

My song is about to take a decided turn to country Western. I am excited about this new verse in my song and am anxious to see how the melody turns out.

Thank you God for the gift of music and the promise it brings as we endeavor to praise you.

No comments: