Thursday, July 29, 2004

A bundle of words

A visit with a cousin last week yielded some unexpected treasures.  Her mother, my aunt by marriage, recently died and left a trunk with family memorabilia.-----She brought pictures of my grandfather Brandon and greatgrandparents.  They all died before I was born, and I had never seen pictures of any of them.  I also found out what my Grandfather Brandon's first name was:  Joseph.-----My parents never told many family stories, nor did they keep things.One of my recent goals has been to try and persuade anyone who would listen how significant family stories are.  Our stories are important because we are the only ones who can tell them.  We must not continue to "hold our bundle of words in immense silence," says young adult author Paula Fox in her autobiography.  I agree with her and with Ma Goad in The Grapes of Wrath who said, "How will our children know who they are, if they don't know where they came from?"-----So, Maddie and Ella, BST and Sheryl, this "bundle of words" called a blog is for you to keep and to pass on to future generations.-----"You got me when I was an unformed youth, God and taught me everything I know.  Now I'm telling the world your wonders; I'll keep at it until I'm old and gray"  Psalm 71 (The Message)

No comments: