Friday, January 21, 2011

Thinking about College

I heard a commentator say that fewer and fewer students could go to college in the years to come because of the cost.  Then a recent newspaper article cited a research study which said that very little is learned by the student in college, no critical thinking, literary skills, skills which can be used in the "real" world, etc.

I would just like to say that this small-town girl gained so much and changed her life by going to college.  Of course, I had to work my way through by staying out a year after high school and working every day of my college career from 1 to 5 in the office of  Foremost Dairies.

We didn't even know what critical thinking was then (50 years ago), but I learned it and literary skills in the classes of teachers like Dr. William Culp (English), Dr.Orvil Filbeck (Education), Dr.Bob Johnson (Bible), Dr. Rita Garrett (English) Dr. Dale Hesser(English), and others whose names escape me.  Majoring in English was the best thing I ever did, and it
 prepared me for wide experiences after graduation. I later became a librarian after attending North Texas State University.  Oh yes, I also got a masters in Secondary Education.

The challenging classes, the dorm life, joining a social club, clashing political  and religious discussions with friends on the debate team, traveling with that team (Until college, I had never been out of my little geographical area) all changed and enriched me.  I can't imagine what I would have become had I not gone to Abilene Christian College (now University). I am certainly a better person now that I would have been.

So I am supporting higher education with my money and my advice today.

No comments: