Thursday, January 28, 2010

Words aptly spoken (Warning: Includes A Rant!)

"A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver." Prov. 25:12 
"When your words came, I ate them:  they were my joy and my heart's delight." Jer. 15:16

I have always been interested in words and their ability to stir people--to open our eyes or move our hearts.  A good arrangement of words in poetry, prose, a sermon or a speech is one of my greatest joys.

In these days of expanding modes of communication, our public distrust of words is growing.  We question the accuracy of a story, the innuendo of a comment, the honesty of politicians and TV preachers.  We doubt statistics and scientific reports.  We hang onto the words of leaders, only to discount them later as hyperbole or bias.  Words have it hard in today's society.

There some words I can do without.  I think that Nashville would be improved 100% if all talk radio shows  were delclared illegal and taken off the airways. I still cannot believe some of the things I have inadvertantly heard as I zipped by those stations.  Most I can't or don't want to repeat.  These men and women appeal to our basest instincts, to our fears and prejudices and often wind up leading our thoughts to hellacious places.

Yes, I do believe in the first amendment and readily admit that all speech does not have to agree with my little ideas; however, down with talk radio!

No comments: