Sunday, January 10, 2010

New Year's Resolutions

In his inimitable way, Yogi Berra once said, "It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future." New Year's Resolutions are really predictors about the future of the "resoluter".

As a school teacher, September was really more about resolutions and new beginnings for me than January.  In retirement, I do make them in January, and I do break them in January.  It think it is interesting to look back at the end of a year to see what was resolved, and to try to figure out why most of them were failures.

Mine generally tend to be pretty much the same:  To read the Bible more, to set aside a time each day to read a book and the newspaper, to read my Time magazine the week it comes (I'm now working on August, 2009), to rid the house of clutter, to use the credit card less, etc., etc.

Goals are important, however; and thus, I will continue making those resolutions and challenging myself in other ways to live life fully.

No comments: