Thursday, January 07, 2010

Music II

During high school days, I was enthralled by "Love Is a Many Splendored Thing" .  I loved the Beach Boys and Fats Domino's "Blueberry Hill".  Abba came a little later.

In our small town, we had no record store; so I saved my money for visits to Abilene where there was large really cool store across from what is now the Post Office.

Hamlin, Texas never heard of classical music (except for an occasional band concert piece).  I did have a friend who admired Mario Lanza and his operatic renditions.  As a freshman in college, a senior took it upon herself to educate me and introduced me to "Pictures at an Exhibition."  I later enjoyed and still do Aaron Copland's music.  So culture came much later as I attended college and got to hear a real orchestra and see live opera. 

I am a great fan of Broadway musicals, and I mourn their passing. (Really, aside from Wicked what on Broadway now is worth listening to?) The recent Mama Mia was a real treasure because of the songs of Abba.

And now?  I must confess that I find very little contemporary music worth my time, although Bono is still bringing it on.  Living in Nashville, I remember the days at home at lunch listening to the Light Crust Doughboys playing "real" country music---now beginning to appreciate some that is playing currently.

No comments: