Monday, September 01, 2008

Vacations

I could count on one hand the most wonderful vacations I have had. It's not that I don't like to travel, it is just that I have not had much opportunity to do it.

The first was about 25 years ago when Sam and I climbed into a mini-van with his nephew Sam and wife Jan, Brandon and cousin Josh and took a long road trip to Las Vegas. Stopping at the Grand Canyon, Painted Desert, etc.........What beautiful country!

When Brandon was entertaining on the cruise lines, my sister-in-law and I joined him for one of the cruises to the Virgin Islands. So many wonderful memories.

Then when Maddie was two, Brandon, Sheryl and I took her to Maui for several days of soaking in the lovely surroundings--no words to express the beauty and fun.

And this weekend a very different and shorter vacation as The Thomas family and I went to Atlanta to the American Girl Store. The excitement of the girls was unmatched with any I had seen previously--and the store--well, you would just have to and see it. We returned to Nashville with two members of the family, Elizabeth and Samantha and loads of new memories to file away.

As far as I know, my parents never left the state of Texas in their lifetime, except for the time my dad traveled to Kansas and South Dakota to work; they never traveled much because of finances. Sam and I took them up to East Texas to Dad's old home-place and then we took them to Big Bend. I feel so fortunate to have had the opportunities to visit other places and cultures. I just wish I had done more when Sam was alive. If you are able, and have a living spouse, don't wait until later to take trips and have fun together--do it now.

No comments: