Thursday, July 24, 2008

Opening Minds

Our Wednesday night class is enjoying sharing thoughts on The Shack. We covered chapters 8 and 9 last night, which in my opinion are the meat of the book--they are also the hardest to digest. I pride myself in having an open mind, but my legalist background often gets in the way of enjoying the Holy Spirit. One of the ideas that came to my mind while rereading those chapters was--I don't think we have even touched the hem of the garment in realizing the implications of the Fall in the garden. To think that to choose independence (as Young says it) would change the course of human and religious history for the lifetime of the earth is mind-boggling. Young's depiction of the Holy Spirit as a "a garden keeper" is interesting too, I think.
Doris Colvett is doing a masterful job of leading the conversations.

One thing the book does do is open the reader's mind to the overwhelming love of God for his creation. If we could only accept that with trust and faith.

No comments: