Sunday, July 27, 2008

Batman and Other Dark Imaginings

Doris and I saw the Batman movie yesterday.

And unlike Phil Wilson, I do not think it the best film of the year, nor do I think it was good in any way--in fact, I did not like it at all. Having said that, I will say that I am glad I saw it.

I have not seen any film yet worthy of Oscar this year, and the prospect as seen from the previews yesterday does not seem good. Why must everything be so loud, so violent, so gross????? Am I showing my age here?

The dark elements in the film yesterday bother me much as the Camus books do. I simply cannot believe (in what some would say my naievte) that God would have any truck with loving us or saving us if we were indeed so horribly without hope and vision as shown. It takes just 5 chapters in Genesis to progress from Eden to Gen. 6:5 "The Lord saw how great man's wickedness on the earth had become, and that every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil all the time."
God did choose to destroy that generation.

We, however, are the products of a "do-over", and we have a God who was willing to die to give us hope not only in the beyond, but in this world, as well. I know he promised not destroy the world again....and I see hope in that. I know that are more than 8 people in this world who have a faith-based view, and who are doing their best to improve the world. Yes, there are dark forces in this world; there will always be, but Jesus himself has overcome the world as he reminds the disciples in John 16:33 to "take heart."

I will always choose the heart over darkness, the good over the evil, the hope over hopelessness. Hollywood's writers and producers are simply walking down the long hallway of trying to deduce what we are all about. I give thanks that there are still some of us around to point the way out of the hall into sunlight.`

No comments: