Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Economic Hysteria

I am getting awfully tired of hearing such phrases as "we are teetering on the precipice" "we are on the edge of" "recession is...." "etc. Yes, I do emphatize with those who are struggling with unemployment, foreclosed houses, and little cash. And I can't say that I haven't counted my assets carefully (after all, I am retired and on an income that doesn't change but about 42 cents a year.)

However, I am coming to believe that the media is enjoying stirring this up (I never thought I would ever say that!). For every unemployed person (and many of those are chronically unemployed) there are millions who have found work. For every foreclosed home, there are millions still living in homes and keeping up payments. For every empty pocket, there are millions who are earning enough to keep it all together. Again, I'm not unsympathetic to those who aren't. It is a scary thing to lose a job.

While I don't subscribe to Dave Ramsey's persona and demeanor--I do think he is right to rail against credit card debt and buying things one cannot afford and cannot use. As Jim says to Huck Finn, "Life is considerable trouble and considerable joy."

What I do think we need is new, fresh, creative leadership on all levels. So let's throw the do-nothings out. Institute term limits in Congress and other levels. Elect those who may not be experienced, but who at least have creative ideas and courage.

And that's my rant for the day.

No comments: