Saturday, June 21, 2008

Fond Farewells

One of my favorite books that I have mentioned in this blog before is Famous Last Words, Fond Farewells, Deathed Distribes and Exclamations upon Expiration by Ray Robinson. It is literally a collection of the last deathbed utterances of famous people. Some are funny; some are poignant; some profane.

Here are some of my favorites--mostly poignant:

"I shall hear in heaven!" Ludwig Van Beethoven--he lost his hearing at age 31.

"Leave the shower curtain on the inside of the tub." Conrad Hilton--who began his hotel empire in Cisco, Texas.

"Get my swan costume ready." Anna Pavlova--world-famous ballerina acclaimed for her performances in Swan Lake.

"More light~" Johann Goethe--Light was used frequently as a metaphor in his drama Faust.

"Here (Washington) ruining people is considered sport." Vincent Foster, legal advisor to Bill Clinton who left this in his suicide note.

No comments: