Monday, September 24, 2007

The Cup of Your Soul

I have asked the women in my class tomorrow to bring a cup which has special significance to them. I am taking the cup I got at Monticello which has Jefferson's famous quote "I cannot live without books." It is a pretty cup, and of course, my readers know why I like that quote. In addition, Thomas Jefferson has long been one of my favorite presidents. I think his memorial in Washington is one of the most beautiful ones (except Lincoln's). Which of your cups would you bring?

We will be studying the fourth beatitude about hungering and thirsting for righteousness. How long has it been since you hungered and thirsted for anything? This concept is so difficult to grasp in our society that is addicted to "muchness" and "manyness" as one writer put it. I think I will try to find a passage in the recent Cormac McCarthy book called The Road.
It is the story of a father and his son trying to survive in a post-apocalyptic world in which everything has been destroyed.

It should be an interesting morning.

No comments: