Friday, June 29, 2007

Do You Own Your Stuff, or Does It Own You?

"We are constantly seeking more, only to discover that more is never enough."

I read a phrase the other day "The Theology of Enough". Claiborne uses it too in Irresistible Revolution.

I am convinced that simplicity is not about deprivation. It is about knowing when enough is enough. Knowing that is not easy--it takes some solitude and thought to sort out.

I began by asking what are my favorite things? One of the first answers, of course, was books. So I decided to begin to rid myself of some of my books. So far, I have divested myself of 83 books through Amazon. I have donated others to the Brentwood Library book sale, and given some to Good Will. I discovered that most used book stores will not take books in which there is underlining. I can't read a book with underlining the things that stand out to me. I am beginning to see space at the end of my bookshelves now.

In addition, I try to go through my closet each season and give away those clothes I have not worn in the season which just ended. And to give away (to Good Will and the church clothing drive) duplicate items--
who needs 5 red blouses anyway?

I am not writing this to toot my own horn, but to remind myself that things can begin to own me and begin to take too much of my time managing them






No comments: