Friday, January 26, 2007

Ephesians 2:10

I was struck as I worked through Beth Moore this week by her discussion of good works from Ephesians 2:10. One of my favorite passages: We are his workmanship created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."

In the first place, thinking of ourselves as God's workmanship is awe-inspiring. Someone said today that workmanship could be translated "work of art" or God's masterpiece. What a boost of self-esteem.

And our whole purpose in creation is to do good works--not the self-obsessed "works salvation" I heard about while growing up, but rather the good works which God prepared specifically for me to do.

Of course, the question is what exactly are those good works? Which flashes back to discussions of spiritual gifts. What are mine?? I believe we are urged by the Holy Spirit in the direction of those good works using the gifts given by God. I truly believe mine lie in teaching and writing and am striving mightly to use those gifts for good works, all the while thinking, " Is what I am spending my life doing
"for the common good" (the purpose of sprititual gifts)? Lots of deep thinking here and I must rest in the knowledge that the Spirit's urging is constantly leading me in the right direction.

Praise God for his grace and our discovery that "works salvation" was a myth.

No comments: