Saturday, November 11, 2006

The Queen

Doris Colvett and I went to see The Queen yesterday. I highly recommend it--it is informative, entertaining and shows Helen Mirren as the wonderful actress she is. I expect she will receive at least an Oscar nomination for it. The movie was not kind to the royal family--I would be interested to know their reaction to it. The queen came off as one more caring and interested in dogs and stags than the fact that Diana had just died. Charles was portrayed as rather wimpy. Phillip's portrayal by James Cromwell (another good job) was surprising--he was shown as much more agressive than I had believed. At one point Charles says that the British public has a much different picture of Diana than the one the royal family saw. I would like the real story of all that association.

I remembered the events of that weekend very vividly--that was the weekend I had come down with a terrible pain in my stomach and was waiting for a colonoscopy the next Monday which would show that I had a cancerous growth in the colon. So I watched the TV events all weekend from the bed.

No comments: