Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Happy Birthday, BST

Today is my son's birthday. I celebrate it too because it was one of the four or five or seven happiest days of my life.

Arriving early in the morning, he was, as are all babies, beautiful in new birth--although he was not pink and plump,as his children were, he was truly a wonderful gift from God. "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming from the father of the heavenly lights." James 1:17. Brandon has been a light in our lives. Always sunny, always laughing and smiling (well, mostly always), he stole our hearts for his pocket very quickly. I still remember Sam's face when he picked him up for the first time--bliss.

I remember the first time I looked in his crib as he slept--I felt such a strong protective urge--I am sure it was similar to a mother bear. And I still have it!
Don't nobody mess with my boy or you'll have to face Miss Judy.

His artifacts still lie in some of my drawers and in boxes in the garage: the little coat my mother made him when he was six, the Lincoln logs, his cowboy gun and holster, one of his blankets, his baseball bat, the silver dollars my uncle gave him when he was born, his graduation tassels...all reminders of good days past. But then here and there are the things of today--his pictures with his children and wife, the Zoe recordings, the huge picture of himself that he gave me in 1996, and my cell phone with his home and office number immediately available. What a joy to be so close to him now! Thank you God for his life and for his presence and for the future you have chosen for him.

No comments: