Friday, November 17, 2006

Banned books

I got a letter from a friend which was stamped (she is fond of stamps) "I read banned books."

It took me back to the days when I did a censorship unit in my children's lit class at ACU. I searched the internet to see which books were banned last year. It was surprising that the list has really not changed very much in the six years I have been retired. Judy Blume's Forever is still there as is The Chocolate War and Catcher in the Rye. A somewhat new addition is Pilkey's Captain Underpants series. Harry Potter was not on the list this year.

That was fun unit to teach and an eye-opening one for the students. It is not a happy moment in class when an angry parent waving a book interrupts class and yells that you are teaching obscene books (or that you have obscene books in your library).
Moments such as those help you sort out values and your belief in the right to read.

What banned book have you read lately?

No comments: