Monday, July 17, 2006

The young are securing their hearts

I was fortunate enough last Wednesday night (Camp Night at Otter) to sit in front of the 4th grade girls cabin. Hearing them sing their camp worship songs in sweet harmony and with enthusiasm warmed my heart.

A speaker at Celebration last night noted the statistics say that most American women on average live to the age of 74 and men to 70. That means I have only six more years (or maybe only 24 hours, who knows?). At any rate, I am buoyed up by my observations of men and women at Otter who are 40 or less, but who have an unflappable passion for God and worship. As I watch them on the worship team, hear them teach in class (Yes, you Brad and Marty), and observe them with their children, I rejoice that the church I have known all my life is in good hands for quite a while down the road.

Speaking of the church I have known, the sermon by Tim yesterday on "Who is Otter Creek?" was stupendous, magnificent, and almost unheard of. I have never in all my 56 years heard a sermon which was up front about the church I attend really believes, where those beliefs came from and the mistakes we made along the way. Thanks to the elders who asked him to preach this series.

No comments: