Thursday, July 13, 2006

New material

Whether I have spoken on a subject one time or hundreds, before I present it again, I research books and the internet for additional material--new statistics, new stories, etc.

In doing that for my talk on reading aloud, I came across a new book by Jennie Nash
Raising a Reader: a Mother's Tale of Desperation and Delight. It is delightful and a good look for parents at expecting each child in the family to be just alike, plus expecting your children to love your passions. She also has several good bibliographies at the end like, "Books to Read Aloud on a Rainy Day by Firelight." I liked her list of "Picture Book Authors You Can Always Count On": Cynthia Rylant (one of my all- time favorites), Maurice Sendak (I would limit his selections to Where the Wild Things Are and Chicken Soup with Rice), Robert McCloskey ( a beautiful painter as well), Rosemary Wells, and Richard Scarry (the last is a surprise--some critics place Scarry in the pot with Disney) However in our household, we found him endlessly charming and interesting.

Jennie also had a good website: www.jennienash.com that you might want to check out.
There is an excerpt from the book there.

No comments: