Sunday, July 09, 2006

Losing and gaining

A young woman came forward today to confess that she was angry at God, had stopped growing spiritually. had just lost a baby, and needed help. After comforting by Tim, she sat down right next to me (perched on my usual front seat)and I got to hold her hand during the prayer. Now, that wouldn't that have been the perfect time for a woman (Steve Adam's wife who was also standing there) to pray for the respondent--but no, the elder whose job of the day was to receive those who came forward led the prayer on her behalf. Steve Adams is a wonderful elder and a very sweet man, but what does a man know about how devastating a miscarriage is to a young prospective mother--How deep-seated the feelings of failure, how disappointed one can be in God, and what seems like little hope for the future. I ask you, wouldn't that have been a perfect time for a sweet, older woman who has seen the span of time and the manifold blessings of God to lead the prayer?
But, no. We don't allow women to lead any prayer on Sunday morning.

Oh, well, I gave her my card with my phone number and told her I had been in her very situation over 30 years ago.

Thank you God for my son Brandon and the blessing he has been to me.

No comments: