Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Snowflake man

Some are large; some are small. They are lacy concoctions, full of holes and light. Some have airplanes in them; some have angels. They are the snowflakes my husband Sam cut over several Christmases. I put some of them up in my windows last week.

As I put them up, I remembered how excited students and teachers got as he left the principal's office each December to teach 4th and 5th grade students how to cut snowflakes. The cutting requires very sharp scissors and an artistic bent. I think he found the pattern in a teacher's magazine. They are all different--some are six-sided; some are round; some are octagonal. He put airplanes in one because of Dyess Air Force Base in Abilene.

Brandon and I and some of our friends have some of his flakes framed and hanging on the wall. They are a remembrance of a school administrator who loved to teach children and of a man who loved beauty.

No comments: