Thursday, January 26, 2006

Find us Faithful

Sorry, I have been without a computer for a week. Back again thanks to a repairman.

My last post caused some activity! So glad to know there other folks in my boat.

Perhaps we are feeling nostalgic at Otter these days because of the move, but as we sang Find Us Faithful two Sundays ago, the words really hit me. Since then, I have been reviewing the great cloud of witnesses who are part of my story: William Samuel and Mary Herndon (great-grandparents), Lizzie Belle Tucker(grandmother), Hazel Pauline Brandon (mother)--all Church of Christ members from the 1880's forward. And then there were my Primitive Baptist relatives Emma and Joseph Brandon(grandparents) and Ollis Elton Brandon (father). I have no evidence that William Samuel ever met Barton W. Stone or any of his followers, but somewhere along the way in the South, he was introduced to the church (probably by his mother-in-law) and eventually planted a small church in West Texas (Anson). His daughter, my grandmother reared children in the church while she attended Northside and Central churches in Abilene, Tx. hearing such preachers as Frank Pack. My mom was in integral part of the church in Hamlin, Texas where I was baptized at the age of 12.

There others who were not relatives; W. L. and Maude Fletcher, Harold and Lottie Bonner (elder couples at Hamlin) Ed and Edna Brown. I can picture them now standing on the shoulders of the highway of my spiritual journey cheering me on. Bless them.

I do pray, Lord, that those who come behind me will find me faithful too.

No comments: