Tuesday, January 10, 2006

The poor are with you always

The neglect of the poor in New Orleans stood out in bold relief against the suffering
in Hurricane Katrina.

Many who are not poor--who make the average salary in the U. S. of $47, 635 or more simply cannot imagine being poor, starving, or being homeless. I can at least emphasize. When my family first moved to Hamlin in the early 40's, we actually lived on the "wrong side of the tracks." Later we rented old, decaying apartments in the town. The only house my parents ever owned was a dilapidated farm house moved in from the country. With his carpentry skills, my father brought it back to life and remodeled it for a family of five.

My family didn't have a car until I was in high school. My dad had a truck and hauled things for a living. My family never took a vacation or took a trip very far out of Hamlin, because we five all had to sit in the cab of the truck. My first trip out of the state was on a debate trip in college.

My first job as an adolexcent was at the "variety store," and it paid 12 1/2 cents an hour. I worked my way through college at Foremost Dairies supplemented by various scholarships.

Sam and I had only one car in early marriage. My first paycheck for teaching averaged out about 36 cents a day. However, I have never felt poor, starving or homeless.

When I go to schools in the projects in Nashville and see the babies (K-1) coming to school in light sweaters and flip flops, I know how blessed I was and am.

Our country and churches can no longer ignore the poor around us. We do that now at the peril of our souls. One of my favorite passages in Isaiah 58:7-8 (the kind of fasting I like is this): "Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter--when you see the naked, to clothe him and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood. Then your light will breeak forth like the dawn, and your healing will quickly appear; then your righteousness will go before you and the glory of the Lord will be your rear guard."

No comments: