Tuesday, August 21, 2007

The Emotion of Music

Regarding my comments yesterday about "Nearer Still Nearer" and the emotion I feel in singing it--here is Shakespeare:

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not mov'd with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils;
The motion of his spirit are dull as night
and his affections dark as Erebus:
Let no such man be trusted.

Perhaps we need to pipe in some Beethoven over the fields of Iraq--maybe that would help.

I am so thankful my grandchildren are growing up in a household where music is heard everyday and appreciated greatly. I do hope they are singers; I don't know how they could miss genetically. It is fun to hear Ella make up her own words and music, and to hear Maddie pick out songs on the piano. I haven't seen any evidence from Sam yet, but I know he will soon be singing his rite of passage song "Twinkle, Twinkle Little
Star"--which was the first one the girls picked up. When he is sleepy, he does hum some unknown tunes.

Thanks you God for music, writers, and singers, and players, and the music of the spheres that surround us.

No comments: