Tuesday, October 10, 2006

More Zoe

I know those of you who couldn't come to Zoe may be tiring of hearing about it--but couldn't resis one more.

It was refreshing to hear Lauren Winner--a young articulate boomer of the emergent generation speak--she is educated, articulate, and winning. I loved hearing her speak about observing sabbath in this busy world. That has been one of my interests for some time. Her book Mudhouse Sabbath also spends time on the subject--I highly recommend it. She did not advocate total withdrawal each Saturday,but advocated it as a time of stepping aside when possible from consumerism, entertainment, and the other beckoning temptations of our day. A quote from Mudhouse: "For Christians, Sabbath has an added dimension--it commemorates not only God's resting from Creation, but also God's Resurrection." And what a celebration that should be!

In Mudhouse Sabbath Winner goes on the write about other Jewish traditions which would enrich the Christian life like hospitality, fasting, candle-lighting, eating kosher food, etc.

Father, help me to spend my time wisely for you.

No comments: