Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Bless me Daddy, for I have sinned

In the Beth Moore series in which I am now a discussion leader, we talked yesterday about addressing God as Abba Father which really means, I am told, "Daddy".

There were mixed reactions. Most admitted that they had used that term; but all admitted some reluctance to do it. Our vision of God and of our own earthly fathers hinders us at times from a very personal relationship with the sovereign God.

From the "Your God is too Small" movement in the 60's to the older pictures of God as a white-haired bearded old man on a glittering throne in heaven, we have all had various pictures of God in our minds.One woman who still remembered the "hell fire and brimstone" messages of her youth asked how could you address such a vengeful God as Daddy?

I think I am maturing in my vision of God--I do like to give Him some shape as I talk to Him, but he no longer has a beard and white hair--He is more amorphus now.
In fact, I like praying to a lighted candle, as I think that typifies Him more than any shape--warm, strong, shining. A LIGHT IN THE DARKNESS.

What is your vision of God today?

No comments: