Thursday, February 09, 2006

Writing

I have always enjoyed writing of all kinds. In high school, I loved my Schaeffer torquoise or blue-black ink and a fountain pen with a wide nub. It made everything I wrote seem important.

The first job I had brought enough money to keep me in pen, ink and paper (Montage or Crane)for the month. I really didn't use it frequently--Bic Pens had not even been invented yet-just for reports and such. I didn't know anybody out of town, so I didn't write many letters. I did keep a little journal (not a diary--there is a difference) and wrote poems and essays there.

And here we are in the enlightened age writng on an Internet blog! How times have changed.

Incidently mothers and dads, one way to ready your child for school and help them get along in school is to provide a desk with a good light, lots of writing materials--different kinds of paper, note cards, newsprint, etc. (Some printing companies will let you come and clean out their wastebaskets for paper) Provide pens, pencils, crayons, markers, etc. to be used for writing letters, making menus, making advertisements, making note cards, and generally having literary fun. Who knows? They too may write a blog someday.

Incidentally, I recently traded my Martha Stewart Magazine in for a subscription to Writer's Magazine.

No comments: