Saturday, February 04, 2006

Ramblings

I had lunch with my friend Beth Williamson yesterday. We both love each other's children so much, it was a love feast. Beth is a good listener and one who always makes you feel good just for having shared conversation. She is insightful and has a good feel for things. Beth is auditing a class at Christ Community Church in Franklin. The class Spiritual Formation in a Post Modern Generation is being taught by Scotty Smith and is part of seminary training at Covenant Theological Seminary in St. Louis. Discussing the class with her lit my fire and made me realize what I had been missing since I moved to Nashville--intellectual stimulation. It lay everywhere there--in my ACU contacts, at Highland in the pulpit and class, and in my spiritual formation group. I hereby resolve to take the next class offered at Christ Community.
_____

I recently had the opportunity to see the Academy Award nominee Good Night, Good Luck.It is the George Clooney- directed movie about Edward R. Murrow and his fight with Senator Joseph McCarthy's witch hunts of "Communists" in the 50's. Murrow was a part of my growing up days. I listened to him on the radio and television and admired him then. I remember having a very bad feeling about McCarthy when all that was rampaging through the news. The film is in black and white--that took some getting used to, but was appropriate. EVERYBODY smokes a lot in the movie, which made me realize how times have changed. Although I have not seen all the nominees, I definitely think this one is a winner--very thought-provoking. A movie for a thinking audience.

______

Otter cleared the building today. While things are not in their right places in the new building because the folks there were not out of some of the rooms, 409 Franklin is now home. Very exciting!

No comments: