Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Harper Lee II

While we are on the subject of To Kill A Mockingbird--

I was interested and a little shocked to note which watching the movie Capote that Harper Lee was one of his best friends, a confidant, his researcher, and his conscience (at least in the movie). I really did not know that they moved in the same circles-- she is very shy and runs from publicity today--NEVER gives an interview.

In the movie, her book To Kill....had just been picked up by Lippincott for publication. The literati in New York did not know what to do with the book: "Was it a book for children or an adult book with children as main characters?" asks one character in Capote. They just did not get it. (Much like Madeline L'Engle encountered with Wrinkle in Time.) Of course both became young adult classics and runaway best sellers.

I enjoyed Capote--I remember when the book In Cold Blood came out, and we got a copy at the Cooper High School Library where I was assitant librarian. I read it then and thought it was certainly unique--a non-fiction novel. Philip Seymour Hoffman should win an Oscar for his performance as Capote. I thought the movie was just as good as Good Night, Good Luck. I don't know which I would choose for the Oscar.

No comments: