Saturday, May 07, 2005

Hazel Pauline Tucker Brandon

I have written about my mother before, but wanted to add these notes for Maddie and Ella on this weekend.

My mother was an enigma I never quite figured out. She was very outgoing with the public with whom she worked as a seamstress and with her church friends, but very closed with the family. By outgoing, I mean friendly and approachable--not speaking her heart to anyone ever. She would truly do anything for anyone in need and often did--I saw her cook double portions of food many times, some for us, and some for the bereaved. Believe me, her family eyed those extra coconut pies!

She went to church by herself come hell or high water, whatever her mood or fatigue.
The only time she spoke of religion to me was the month before she died of melanoma when she told me that she had gone forward at church because she had spoken ill of someone during the church split. The Hamlin church split so often, it was hard to know which side to support. That public going forward was so unlike her, it floored me, and I knew then she was dying. She was intelligent and a reader, but I never heard her speak of anything other than domestic ideas or the weather with anyone. She was the first in her family to graduate from high school and graduated 1st in her class at age 16. I have her senior ring.

She and I both had the mother-in-law from hell and that troubled her marriage until
Granny Dobbins died. But I remember my mom sitting up with her night after night and then working all day the next day.

There are so many questions I would ask her if she were still here--she died in 1976 at age 63. She did live long enough to love Brandon fiercely, and I am glad he remembers her fondly.

I still miss her: the sweet smile, the soft laugh, the flawless skin, and the way she smelled and the example of service she set for me. I will be celebrating her tomorrow.

No comments: