Saturday, September 12, 2009

Talk, Talk, Talk

The recent uproar about Pres. Obama's speech to school children was fueled by talk show hosts like Rush Limbaugh, etc.  Nashville has its share of those--Infamously, Phil Valentine.

The classical station in Nashville has recently decided to drop a lot of its classical programming in the daytime and substitute talk shows of various kinds.

If I had my way, all talk-show hosts would be fired and their shows dropped from programming.  Yes, I do believe in free speech--Yes, I do believe that people have the right to express what they believe even when I do not agree with it.  But thinking people surely see  that the process has gotten out of hand--in fact, out of control.

I don't know what can be done about it--except to say that if one chooses to listen to this type of program, listen with educated ears and open minds.  Whether conservative or liberal, there must be a civil balance from which important topics can be discussed with cool heads.

I guess this is pie-in-the-sky thinking.  But one can only wish.

No comments: