Thursday, June 11, 2009

Wicked

Those who read my blog know that I am a big fan of Broadway musicals. They have taught me, brought me comfort and entertain me even today.

Last Saturday, I snagged some tickets to Wicked which will open in Nashville on Sept. 2. I have been listening to the sound track trying to sort out the story. It carries some of the wittiest lyrics I have heard in a long time. From making up words (rejoicify) to the Wizard carrying Wonderful as part of his name, the songs are poignant, thoughtful, fun, and, well, musical.

I have ordered the book so I can read it before I go--and I may even read the Wizard of Oz too.
I'll bet Frank Baum never figured his little books would spawn music and millions.

But, think back to all the musicals you have seen on stage or in the movies--Remember that song in South Pacific which says that prejudice is not inborn, it has to be taught? Certainly a profound and true statement. "The hills are alive with the sound of music" brought beauty to mountains I had never seen. Even some of the lyrics of Oklahoma are thought-provoking: Poor Jud is Daid (Dead) comes to mind. And for Les Mis--what can one say about those songs? "Bring Him Home" has to be one of the saddest songs ever written. And on, and on.
West Side Story also helped me open my eyes to the prejudice felt by the Latinos in NYC.
Mamma Mia helped me appreciate Abba more. So you see, musicals have helped form me and my philosophy.

No comments: