Friday, February 22, 2008

70 Today!

As Brandon so nicely noted in his blog, today is my 70th birthday. My body feels it, but my mind does not. I do not come from particularly long-lived genes. My grandmother died at 88, my mom at 63 and my dad at 70. And with my medical history, all I can say is I am very blessed to be here still walking, talking and thinking.

To quote the title of a book...old age is always 15 years older than I am. Somewhere within me is still that long-legged, pig-tailed 10-year-old girl running through the grass in summer--hiding from my brothers and smoking grapevine with my friend across the street. (didn't you ever smoke grapevines?)

I always try to take one day at a time, but lately it seems I am being attacked by many days, if not years, at a time. The time passes so fast, it is unbelievable. I enjoy my wrinkles and wear them as badges of honor. Fortunately, I have few regrets about the past 70 years except not getting my doctorate. My marriage was happy and fun, my son is my joy, and my grandchildren are the cream on top of the strawberry shortcake. Their mother is a wonderful daughter-in-law too. So where is there anything to complain about? Not much---I just thank God for the gift of life and for His blessings of friends, family, food and shelter. As Maggie Kuhn said, "The best age is the age you are."

No comments: