Saturday, May 29, 2004

Tumbling tumbleweeds

Our Bible class had an enjoyable outing to Ball Ranch last weekend where we feasted on brisket, potato salad and peach cobbler.

The Ball Family Singers treated us to an old-time Western show featuring songs all of us over 50 in Texas know. I can't discern what it says about my upbringing that I knew every word to almost every song. Remember the Sons of the Pioneers? I had their records once. The songs of Gene Autry and Roy Rogers? Autry and Rogers were more than heroic movie cowboys--they were singers and minstrels who painted pictures of the Old West that foreigners still believe to be true.

As I listened, I was back in a simple kitchen in Hamlin, Texas, where the Light Crust Doughboys were always on the radio, and life was less complex.

Thank you Lord, for musical memories when I am surrounded by the cacophony of noise some call music today. Roy Rogers rapping-----Naaah!

No comments: