Monday, May 31, 2004

Classic Rock

Several days ago, Mike Cope wrote about classic rock and listed Steppenwolf and Three Dog Night. Those who responded mentioned Led Zeppelin and Simon and Garfunkel. Is there a difference in classic rock and classic rock and roll?

The first thing I bought with money from my 12cents-an-hour job at the variety store was a record player. It was a cheap cardboard box that only played 45's. The first 45 I bought was "Rock around the Clock" with Bill Haley and the Comets. This was true classic rock. The second 45 in my collection was "On Blueberry Hill" by Fats Domino. Elvis followed with "Love Me Tender."

Later I got sidetracked to dreamier tunes like "Love is a Many-Splendored Thing", "Exodus", and music from Broadway.

My checkered musical past (from Gene Autry to West Side Story) has led me to look for music that sounds like music, for lyrics which make sense and music with a quieter, calmer mood than one generally finds on any radio station. Come to think of it, I don't listen to radio stations anymore except NPR.

Thank you God for the contemporary Christian music which
soothes my soul and leads me to you more quickly than any other medium.

No comments: