Wednesday, April 29, 2009

What I am Reading Now

This is my 1,000 post--it is only natural that it be about books.

"Any woman/man with a moderate income can afford to buy more books than he/she can read in a lifetime." Henry Holt

I am proving the truth of this quotation--my shelves are full of books that either I haven't read or that I have read part of, or that I intended to read the week I bought them. So why do I continue to buy more books? Ask a sage somewhere...

There is a surge of interest in the Kindle machine that Amazon sells on which one can read many books published for $9.99. Then what? One has to crank up the machine again when searching weeks later for that wonderful quote? Pay $9.99 again? Hold a cold machine in bed while one is reading the latest mystery? Not I--the heft and smell and feel of a book is important for this reader. I don't want to read the words on a screen--I want to place a bookmark between the pages to come back to tomorrow. I want to underline the passages I want to remember. I want to loan the book to a friend who will benefit from its information.
No Kindle for me, thanks.

I just finished reading John Grisham's latest The Associate. It was a page-turner reminiscent of The Firm. I think Grisham has set up his readers for a sequel to this one. I am now reading
Marylynn Robinson's Home. It is much better than Gilead, I think. She writes long sentences and without chapter stops--a packed story. Every paragraph has an ache in it. I am looking forward to hearing her speak at the Christian Scholar's Conference at Lipscomb.

Happy Reading, dear readers!

No comments: