Friday, May 09, 2008

Ministry in the Church

After a conversation with a new acquaintance at Pepperdine, I have been thinking about our view of ministry. In many churches, we are still looking at ministry with the eyes of the 50's:
Missions, Outreach, Education, and maybe, just maybe Social Services like serving the homeless, the poor, etc.

The woman I mentioned and I had a conversation about more focused ministries at home: how about a ministry to widows and single mothers--women who need help coping with cars, small repairs at home, snatching a little time away from the children for themselves, etc. I think James had something say about ministry to widows, but I have seldom seen one--especially when I needed some advice about my car, or my lawn, or someone to climb a tall ladder to put a battery in the fire alarm. I know single mothers would benefit from helping hands as they try to be both father and mother, breadwinner, and handy man.

How about a ministry of encouragement?--This has been one of my soapboxes for a long time--we just do not encourage each other enough. What does a pat on the back, an encouraging card, a phone call cost? The card may cost 43 cents, but the others nothing. Why, why do we not
take time out of our IMPORTANT lives to do these small things? I don't know. Highland in Abilene has a ministry in which women come to the building every few days and spend a couple of hours calling the shut-ins and those who find themselves unable to participate in the community of the saints for one reason or another. I know that time has brightened many a face.
But I also know, I have not heard of a similar ministry anywhere. Back in the days of visitation, our small group at Minter Lane in Abilene would often take a Sunday night to write personal notes to visitors, enclosing our personal phone numbers for any needs. At Highland and at Otter, we do have encouragement cards in the pews, but I seldom if ever see any in the plate as it is passed. In my three years at Otter, I have been the grateful recipient of four cards. And we often just allow people to slip through the cracks, losing spirit and failing to attend services, without so much as a phone call or card. Shame on us! How often do you stop the teacher who just taught your Sunday or Wednesday class and tell them how much you got out of it and appreciate the 3-4 hours they spend in preparation? Or the teachers of your children---certainly unsung heroes! We know how to complain; but we need lessons in encouragement. Oh well, I could go on and on.

No comments: