Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Landmarks

I am not sure what the derivation of "landmark" is, but I am taking it to mean important happenings in life. We have two for Maddie this week.

Yesterday, we attended Maddie's first piano recital. I say "first" because I hope there will be many more. She was very poised and played well. She seemed so Big!
It was good to hear her teacher say that Maddie has a musical gift, because I have long thought that. (I hope her teacher doesn't say that to everyone). I have a wonderful picture of Maddie enjoying the piano when she was only two years old. She has had the ability to pick out tunes by ear for a long time(which I think is a gift too). It was a shock when her parents heard the piano one morning and Maddie was playing a hymn they had sung the day before. At this point, Maddie doesn't complain about practice and seems to enjoy learning theory--it's a lot like math. Theory is something I never learned, and math is not one of my best subjects. It is a thrill to see your children or grandchildren excell in things that either you did not, or that you never had the opportunity to do.

On Friday we go to Kindergarten graduation for Maddie. Wow! Time passes too fast.

No comments: