Saturday, March 03, 2007

A very strange day

I was so glad when yesterday ended. It began as I went to a meeting of the Beth Moore leaders at Otter. The meeting is next week.

While cooking a pie for a guest, I unwittingly (very unwitthingly because I did not know what I was doing) baked coconut in the oven until it was very black, smelling up the whole house. Ever smelled charcoal coconut? You would not want it in the next new hand lotion.

Time to get the mail. By the way, the wind was blowing West Texas style all day--another minus for the day. Took the three pieces of mail out of the mail box. A long white envelope gets caught by the wind and before I could catch it, slides into the drainage hole on the road. Standing there horrified, I imagined the envelope contained my income-tax refund or an important bill. What do you do at 6:00 p.m. when an unknown envelope lies in the drainage ditch which is covered by a grate too heavy to lift and which is too deep to reach with the longest stick you could find? I went and got my flashlight for better light and then promptly dropped the skinny light into the drainage hole too. By this time, the envelope could not be seen--probably washed to the next block.

I was beginning to feel like the man with the raincloud above his head in the Lil' Abner.

But the day ended happily. Doris Colvett and I shared carrot soup and watched a movie together.

No comments: