Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Where's the butter?

Sam's Uncle Ralph loved butter and expected it to be on the table at every meal. Therefore, his first statement upon sitting down to eat was, "Where's the butter?" Usually it was sitting right in front of him--but this was his routine.

These days I am often asking myself "Where's the butter?" Or where are the scissors, or where is that pen or where are my glasses? I can lose something in the span of a nanosecond.

I think Mary Norton's Borrowers have taken up residence in my house. These are little people in that wonderfully creative children's book who make their home between the walls of your home and who "borrow" small things to furnish their houses.

I don't know what has happened to my eyesight. I can search my purse for lipstick three times, decide it's not there, and then go back later and find it in the purse.
It couldn't be because I turn 69 tomorrow, could it? Naahh.

No comments: