Thursday, February 01, 2007

Significant Deaths

The editorial pages in over 400 newspapers are considerably lessened today by the death of Molly Ivins, a Texas columnist who died yesterday of breast cancer. She is the second strong Texas woman to die this year--Ann Richards, her friend, was the first. Molly always tickled my funny bone and made me think. She had the label of liberal which she proudly wore and said one of her greatest honors was to be banned from the campus of Texas A and M. She was born in California, but she got to Texas as soon as she could.

She counted herself a friend of George Bush, but fell out with him during his governorship and when he left Texas. Her nickname for him "Scrub" is an example of her humor. She was an ardent opponent of the war in which we now found ourselves embroiled.

I will miss her column and her insights into the world in which we live. I don't know of another who has the same Texas savvy and wit writing today.

Holbert Rideout, a long-time friend from Abilene also died this week. He had suffered from Alzheimeer's for several years. Holbert and Sam served as elders together at the Minter Lane Church for several years. Holbert was the editor of Christian Bible Teacher when he recruited me to write a column for that publication several years ago.

He was long-known as an "expert" in Christian education. His wife and I served together as librarians in the Abilene School District. Stella once worked for Sam as librarian at Bowie Elementary.

Holbert was kind, gentle and always finding ways to serve others. He was the first person at my house when he found out that my mother had died. I will miss him and his example.

No comments: