Sunday, June 04, 2006

We had just finished taking the women for a tour of the homes of country music stars.
The women, mostly early forties, were residents of a halfway house for those with substance abuse.

I was talking to Betty (not her real name). She a native of Iowa; her family had moved to Nashville years ago so her father could work for DuPont. As we talked, I found that she had been a resident of the home for four weeks. She has a back-breaking job working for Goodwill sorting donations. Yet, she seems very happy, has a twinkle in her eye and is generally doing well. Her one poignant comment was "I am so glad my mother and father died before I got into trouble."

Lord, keep the twinkle in my eye as I survey all the blessings you have given me, and help me to reach out to Betty and her friends.

No comments: