Friday, August 05, 2005

Searching for home

Father Strobel who created Room at the Inn for the homeless in Nashville spoke at Otter on Wed. night. It was excellent--One of his assistants gave the best synopsis of the Odyssey I have ever heard. And the homeless men who accompanied them were inspirations. On any given night there are over 10,000 homeless people on the streets of Nashville.

I am reading Lynn Anderson's Longing For a Homeland; Discover the place you belong.
It is quite an insight into Lynn and his family and very encouraging to all of us who long for home.

Thinking along these lines, what does the word "Home" mean to you? As a fledgling
teacher, it was my duty to direct the one-act play for competition. We did Robert Frost's The Death of the Hired Hand. A famous line from the poem/play is "Home is the place where when you have to go there, they have to take you in."

I guess my longing would be for the house in Potosi before Sam got sick, when Brandon was in his early years in college and bringing kids out to the country, and we were all involved in church, school, friends and each other. Although, of course, my ultimate longing is the home with God spoken of in Psalm 27:4-5 "One thing I ask of the Lord, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to seek him in his temple. For in the day of trouble, he will keep me safe in his dwelling."

No comments: