Thursday, February 05, 2009

Granny Tucker's House

My grandmother (Lizzie Belle Herndon Tucker) lived in a big old house in Anson, Texas when I was growing up. It was so big that she had a boarder in half of it during WWII. It had very high ceilings, drafty windows and doors and wooden floors.

I was remembering it this morning when I woke up and saw that the temp in my house was 58 degrees even though the pad was set on 68. The electricity ran all night. Of course, it was 15 degrees with 5 degree wind chill outside--cold winter! At Granny's we slept under many quilts which were so heavy, we could hardly turn over.
Heat was from a space heater (not run during the night) and the kitchen oven. Those wooden floors were icy until we got our shoes on.(Thanks for carpet now!) And we ran for the kitchen as soon as we got up for heat and to partake of the biscuits, bacon and eggs that my grandmother had already cooked. Her habit of getting up at 5:00 in the morning never deviated even though she lived in town and not on the farm.

Those were good innocent days and as a kid, I didn't notice the cold as much as I do now. Oh, how I wish I could have some of those biscuits and bacon today.

No comments: